Can I Change My Child’s Name If The Wrong Man Is Mentioned On His Birth Certificate??

Some courts require that you consult with them three days before the hearing to ensure that they have obtained the publication information. You can contact your local circuit court to find out your publication requirements. Use the Courts and Agencies section of this website to obtain contact information for your local circuit court. Once you have completed the petition, you will submit it to the family division of the circuit court in the province where your child lives.

Your child must have lived in that province for at least a year before the petition was filed. If you cannot afford this, you can ask the judge to waive the costs. Read the exemptions from court fees for more information on rate exemptions. To change your child’s name, you must take the first step to petition your county’s family court requesting the change. You must notify the other parent and give them the opportunity to respond to your request. If you want to change the last name of your youngest child, you can ask the court for it.

The boy had the surname of the father and the mother asked to change the child’s name to her new husband’s last name . In that case, the father showed that it is not best for the child to undergo a full name change. Parents and legal guardians have the right to notice the request to change the name. Other parties may also be entitled to notification, including a special guardian or a government agency with child custody. If the other parent or guardian disagrees with the name change, they have the right to appear at the hearing and explain their side.

This form asks the judge to approve the name change of the child without having to appear at the hearing. When both parents accept the name change or a parent has died or has no legal rights, the name change of the child is generally approved without a hearing. The notification must be published before your child’s name changes. Depending on the province in which your child lives, the notification must be published two to eight weeks before the hearing.

Most states allow parents to amend a birth certificate and change a child’s name within the year of birth, but with limitations. For example, if your child’s name is misspelled, you can request a correction without further steps. However, each state varies in its rules, so if you are unsure of what your status requires, you can contact a family lawyer.

Each state has its own unique process of removing the name of a non-organic parent from the birth certificate. Your first step is to contact your state’s Vital Records department to ask for the requirements. Some courts cooperate directly with local legal news for publication.

Many states allow new parents aged 6 to 12 months to make changes to a child’s birth certificate without the need for a court order. The rate is generally between $ 15 and are there restrictions on name changes $ 40, and some states waive rates for low-income applicants. I discussed custody in my article “Considering Custody” (LawNow vol. November 37, 2012) for more information.